Sunday, February 24, 2013

in or out?

It seems as easy as breathing to get caught up in my appearance-- I know for a fact I'm not alone on this. There isn't a woman dead or alive that hasn't looked in the mirror and wanted to change something. And we do all kinds of things to "improve" our appearances. Even if she doesn't wear a stitch of makeup she might still put a flower in her hair or wear a flattering dress & of course there is the complete other extreme of women getting cosmetic surgery, then there's all the in between of makeup, hair color, manicures, jewelry and so on. We ALL attempt outward beauty in some way shape or form.
I've been working out at the gym for about a year now & this last 6 months have been a little shaky with children's cold & all.. I want exercise to be a priority for the sake of my health but I'd be lying if I said appearance had nothing to do with it. Anyway my workouts have been pretty half-hearted lately & God showed me in prayer today that more than just my workouts have been that way. My time with Him & my spiritual diet have been suffering a great deal, I need to take more time to consume His Word & to be with Him. Then I remembered 1peter 3:3-4 where it says that women should be concerned about their inward beauty which is to have a gentle & peaceable spirit. What i gather from the whole passage is that Outward beauty should just be the "cherry on top" & inner beauty to be the dominant priority in our lives ,or to keep with the analogy, the "cake" on which that "cherry" rests. The in fading beauty of who we are in Christ is far and above more important than the fading beauty of our flesh. We can start by giving it to God & then shifting our thinking toward His beauty standards outlined in 1peter 3 & several places through out proverbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment