Monday, March 4, 2013

am i being consumed or pruned?

Hebrews 12:11, "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it" (NIV).

Being disciplined out of this high level of distraction combined with desire is seriously unpleasant. There are things I would really like to spend my time on, but don't have the time to devote, but they constantly call to me and I cave... again.  

There is a level of patience that I have recently recognized.  It has to do with forbearance (which is to have restraint from something I want to do) and perseverance (to continue in a course of action even in the face of difficulty or with little or no prospect of success). Patience is a fruit of the Spirit, which God seeks to grow in us and my stubbornness is slowing the process a great deal!  There are lots of things I want to do that just don't fit and doing them is keeping me from persevering in what I'm responsible to. All of these want to's are like a disgusting, sticky fly trap and I'm the fly-- completely stuck and fighting to break free, until I'm distracted again by it's sweet smell.  Life is about so much more than some of the silliness we waste our time on, not that there's no room for silly... but for some of us silly is consuming our lives and God seeks to lead us away from it, to free us from all these things slithering in to consume our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment