Wednesday, March 20, 2013

why do I think I like pit dwelling?

Procrastination is good medicine.  What a lie.
Procrastination is the shovel that digs my pit, straight to the grave.
And my desire for perfection turns said shovel into a mighty drill that digs down deep.
Creating a pit that only God can get me out of... again.


Luke 6:46 “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? 47As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. 48They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. 49But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.”
The truth is we all tend to dig pits for ourselves.
When we follow God's will for us each moment we lay another brick of foundation, filling in the pit-- recognizing each thing that got us into that pit to begin with and giving them to Him in exchange for a foundation brick.  When we're disobedient, not only do we dig our pit of despair deeper, but we build next to the pit instead of in it, because we don't want God to have our self prescribed shovel or drill or the intricacies of why we're in that pit-- we want to keep our pit "just in case".  And so we build beside our beloved pit and when that 'torrent' hits our house it'll all collapse into the pit-- total destruction.

"Digging down deep" so deep that the why's of living in a pit come forth to give over to the Lord is the first step to living a strong life "in Christ".  As we learn to Love and trust Him the foundation is laid and we cannot go back to pit dwelling, but we continue on with Him.  When we love and trust Him, we'll naturally obey Him and more foundation is laid and we finally have a solid foundation on which to build a life "in Christ".  Walking in Him and with Him, is everything-- it is the whole purpose of our lives, but we can't do that living in our pits.

I'm not nearly as deep or as stuck as I once was, because I've been laying foundation. There is more to give Him, things that I didn't expect, things that I know my personal life will be better without, yet I cling to them because they've been what I cling to my entire life.  God seeks to be the only One we cling to and life is best when He is our One and Only.  It's easy to be afraid of filling in our pits because we want that back up in place, but life will be best when it's all filled in and given over to our Creator who knows what we were created to be. He knows that some things keep us from some of His specific blessing and we can trust Him to guide us.

No comments:

Post a Comment