Monday, October 1, 2012

Redeemed

Read Romans 7:7-25 by clicking here


I'm sure we'd all agree that the second we're told not to do something we desperately want it.  I rarely eat PB&J sandwiches but when I spent a little time in a country with out, I couldn't wait to get back to the states to have one!  Remember when your Mom told you no cookies til after dinner... when I was grown and could have nothing but cookies for dinner, I did... that is until I realized it made me feel terrible.  The very idea of someone--God or man-- telling me 'I can't' do something makes me want to do it. Every time with out fail.

That's what these verses are about... my inability to be good.   I mean we can do good if it's to make ourselves feel better about ourselves, it's being good for self. Think about it.  Then when I tell myself I can't eat this or that for the sake of a diet... I immediately want to eat those things.   And of course we're made with innate morality, which according to C.S. Lewis is proof of the existence of God (read "Mere Christianity").  Let's face it though, no one likes to be told what to do. No one.  And our first instinct is to do the opposite of what someone is telling us to do. It's natural to human nature. 
Then comes some good news:
Romans 8:1, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.
and
Galatians 2:20, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer life, but by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me, I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"

When I gave my life to Christ I suddenly had a choice to live by the natural ways of humanity or by the Spirit of God.  My humanity still wants to do what it wants or not listen to what I should do and sometimes it wins... but when I stay in Christ (reading Scripture, praying- staying with Him as He is not in me) doing what I'm supposed to do is possible and it happens.  And God redeems my life.
This song just explains it all:
Redeemed by Big Daddy Weeve

Thank you Lord for redeeming me.  I love You.

No comments:

Post a Comment