Wednesday, July 25, 2012

important distractions?

You're probably the same-- this time of year (and a lot of the rest of the year) my to do list mounds and I get overwhelmed. The things that take a little extra seem to sit and never get done-- I finally hemmed a dress for Madelyn tonight that I bought her 3 weeks ago.  The only reason it didn't just wait til next year is because she begged and begged several times a day for the last 3 weeks for me to get it done! ... done.  More home school lessons to plan, traveling preparations to make, studying to do, closets to clean out, renovations undone,  not to mention the blizzard of house work that will get shoveled out just in time for my heart to ache in the absence of children. I'll miss the mess just like every other parent will.
Practicing taking every moment  as a blessing.  Its easy to be frustrated about cleaning up the same mess 15 times in 3 hours because guests are coming... any other time I've learned to leave it at least until the end of the day, for sanity's sake.  Children will be children... it's easy to get upset and vent it all out all over the place for little ears to absorb .  God forgive me.
Its difficult to stop picking away at the mounds even for a moment to enjoy little children.  I'm learning to have fun playing with them again & even in the midst I'm thinking of what I need to get done.  It's not easy to force myself to stay.  Enjoy the moment, because when the moment is gone it will never ever be regained.  Every birthday that one of my children has I wish I had a little more time with the age they had been.  Everything is a distraction from the most important things in this life.  Of course there are things that are part of life that need to be done, but letting everything become a distraction from knowing our children, our spouse, our God??
I'm tired of the distractions in my life keeping me from the important.  I want to give more to the importants... God, husband, children, friends, people. To give the Love of God, to be to them who God created me to be for them... to enjoy the now!  It's so easy for  me to look around at what needs to be done, to wish for more of the future when God is saying to me-- be aware of what needs to be done, be aware of the future, but enjoy the now!  If we're not enjoying or confronting the moments today gives with the people we love; we've missed the boat. 
Matthew 6:34, "Don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.." 
Mary was spending time sitting at Jesus feet  being with Him while Martha was freaking out distracted by preparations for Him and the disciples.  Luke 10:41-42, "'Martha, Martha,' the Lord answered, 'you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."  
Distractions aren't going anywhere and neither is choice. Learning to choose the importants to consume my time-- to freely give it to who is important rather than what.  God, husband, children, family, others...

1 comment:

  1. I needed to hear that ... again ... and again. Thanks for allowing God to speak through you.

    ReplyDelete