Sunday, July 22, 2012

shooting

Tonight Scott and I went to see Dark Knight Rises. Like I said before, we love super hero movies and this one was no exception.  During the first little bit I couldn't help but think about the shooting in CO and wonder what makes a person get to a point that they would open gun fire on a crowd of unsuspecting people sitting in the dark watching a movie with several shootings.  What gets a person to the point where he/she just hates people so much? So much that they belong in a prison for the criminally insane?
I've never fantasized about shooting down a bunch of people but I must confess I haven't always looked at people in the positive light I do today.  I've never wanted to physically hurt someone, not really... but there was a time when I was completely cynical with a totally negative outlook.  What happens in a person that they go from general negativity about people to wanting to mow them down with a gun?
The enemy wants to take us down! Few will explode in the most extreme way like this, many more will kick their dog, scream at their kids or spouse, lash out in some socially acceptable way; & still many of us implode, either way down is down. I want more than anything to live a life full of grace and mercy reflecting Christ.  Live a life full of life full of love, not desiring my own death (whether suicidal or just looking forward to the end). I want to look forward to life, my own and living it with others... not angry at them or hurt by them at every turn.   Of course we do get hurt by and angry at each other, but there is also happiness and comfort to be had as well.
Walking close with Christ daily is the key here. With Him great things are possible in relationships, even when we're hurt.  Fixing relationship issues can be totally tricky, but that's not really what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about an overall disgust with other people in general, constantly finding fault.  Take a chance and stop... find something nice to say about each person you come in contact with instead of thinking the normal insulting thing.  Trust me, it's better than feeling miserable about others.  It takes practice, none of us are born positive... no one is naturally positive, it takes work!! Think something nice, give a compliment now and then.  Above all find atleast 3 things to thank God for each day, no matter what it is... it could be something in nature, in people, in possession, musical.  Thankfulness has added a ton of joy to my life and extinguished a lot of my pain.  Ann VosKamp has a monthly printable list of specific broad titles to give thanks for example  "find 3 gifts musical" to thank God for was yesterday's www.aholyexperience.com.  Don't let the enemy take you down, even if the explosion or implosion is less dramatic than homicide or suicide ... down is still down & each person's bottom is different (obviously). Go up with God... thank Him for the little things & find something nice to say about others.  Each of us were created by Him and none of us are perfect.  Even if the very few belong in prison after following the road to sheer hate, leaving many lifeless with families mourning & their country lifting them up in prayer and condolence. My heart goes out to the victims' families. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment