Friday, August 3, 2012

approval addiction

I think most of my life I've had this... approval addiction. I don't think I've ever thought I quite measured up to standard much less exceptional. As a child, it seemed like everyone around me was exceptional... my guess is that most children feel that way. Some kind of approval here and there helped me to feel better most of the time, but never really got to the issue to fix the problem. Deep insecurity. In recent months the Lord has been working with me on this issue all the way down to the core. Curing the insecurity, ridding the want for approval from people.

The book of John is full of places where Jesus is saying that after His resurrection that He would be in us and that the Holy Spirit would come and live in us... Remember the passage in Psalms? "How lovely is your dwelling place, O LORD Almighty!" (Psalm 84:1). I feel so filled and surrounded by the Spirit of God, just thinking about that! He is everything and loves me so much that He wants to dwell in me so we can be that close! He designed us so that we can only find true security in Him. We are a treasure of His. True security comes from Christ.


Anyway, so I'm reading through Luke and John today and I'm picking up a steady theme for the Pharisees... they like to be seen! They want others to see that they are awesome and do everything possible to do everything exactly right down to the letter! The problem was their hearts were far from loving God. I'm starting to think that their hearts were so far from Him because they were so consumed with approval! When Jesus called them out they were so angry they plotted and plotted to kill Him until they finally got Him on the cross. The need for another person's approval betrays God's approval. We were created to be consumed with the Love of God so much that only His approval matters!! I'm so thankful that He allows different circumstances in my life to give me the opportunity to give Him the crud that needs washing out of my soul, like approval addiction! <3 Praying for the ability to recognize these opportunities is key :)

No comments:

Post a Comment