Wednesday, August 22, 2012

extreme

I have this issue in that I have a tendency toward working in extremes.  For example I could watch tv all day everyday until I got the motivation for the next extreme. When I was working my direct sales business I'd get in a fix and work for days only on that, sometimes it would last a month or more... not a good thing when you homeschool. This has also happened recently in Bible Study... not that anything is wrong with Bible Study, but when I don't take responsibility for the things that have been entrusted to me there is a problem.  
This verse comes to mind: "For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." (2 Thessalonians 3:10, NIV)
It's like this reminder that we can't solely focus on all the things we enjoy or that come the easiest, we have to work.  Of course, I'm a home maker & homeschool Mom with four children and don't earn a pay check, but regardless I have a crazy amount of responsibility and if I go to the extreme something or someone will absolutely lose my attention. This ensues chaos!  When my attention comes back around and evens out some there is something to fix.  
God is a God of balance, which is shown through out scripture, but I'll share with you the scriptures I came across today that made it absolutely clear what we're dealing with here in the fight against any kind of extreme verses complete balance.  In Luke 8 Jesus casts a legion of demons out of a man. The Legion had snatched the man by force, and broken chains the man was bound by, the man was also driven into solitary places by the demon.  When Jesus met him the man had gone naked and homeless, but had lived in tombs. He basically lived in a graveyard... surrounded by death.  There are several different directions I could go with from what the enemy did to this man, but the point I'm making is that he was totally alone all of the time... this is extreme.  It is perfectly healthy to be alone sometimes; Jesus was.  Check out Mark 1:35, "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed" (NIV).  There are several references to this, Matthew 14:13, Luke 8:29... Jesus did not live a solitary life, he lived a very balanced life with friends, all kinds of different people, & alone with God the Father too. The solidarity created an extreme in the possessed man's life, where as it created balance in Jesus' life.  
The enemy is doing everything He can to get us to live in an extreme, giving little to no attention to that which we are responsible. God is working with us to create balance in our lives, which is another way He makes us whole. All the praise to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment