Sunday, August 5, 2012

control freak


Reading while on a long road trip is such a great way to pass time. I read the last 1/2 of Luke and all of John while on the road yesterday! I felt so full of & surrounded by the Spirit!  I fell more in love with Jesus because of what He did for us.  Both Luke and John are so wonderfully descriptive and answer so many of the doubts I’ve had having not been in the Word for so long. It really was a wonderful time with God! 
Once we arrived at our first destination I got out of the car and realized that something I had expected in our packing for a family of 6 endeavor had not gone according to plan and I was seriously irritated. I made several snide comments walking to our room and suddenly the Holy Spirit put me in check. Why am I so irritated?  Truthfully it was because of the lack of “control” I had over the situation.  What are we really in control of anyway? not a thing!  So I stopped and asked God to forgive me for my discontentedness and gave my desire to be in control to Him. And just like that my discontentedness was vanquished and His peace in me restored. It was wonderful! 
John 15:1-2
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit He prunes so that it will be even more fruitful...” --Jesus.
This morning as I opened my Bible to begin reading Acts I realized that as Scripture was being poured into my heart in a heavy dose the day before that it was washing and pushing out discontentment and the sense of control.  God’s light was shed on those things and it was my choice to stuff it back into the darkness making excuses for it or to give it to the One who has the power to do away with it. 
Proverbs 4: 23
“Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.”
a wellspring is like a little pond that has water flowing in and water flowing out... basically what goes in must come out and it is therefore so important to purposely put the Word of God in.  As for me, so much junk has gone in for so long that once the Word and prayer started going in in a heavy dose the junk had a chance to be washed out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment