Tuesday, August 14, 2012

read.

I listened to this youtube video of Kari Jobe teaching in a church somewhere.  She is such a talented singer and song writer I was surprised to find her teaching!  She made a lot of points, I liked her illustration about abc gum, already been chewed.  Funny illustration but very true and I'm realizing on a huge level how true her point was.  Hearing the word of God preached is great! It helps lead people to Him for salvation. It encourages us, helps us to grow.  But getting snippets of Scripture here and there is not enough, it becomes like already been chewed gum.  The one preaching or teaching read Scripture, chewed on it, and is giving it back out to us again & it does help us. Which is great, so don't get me wrong here, it is good to listen and hear what others have to say, but not apart from reading and digesting God's Word for ourselves. Chewing on God's word, tasting and enjoying it for ourselves with our own eyes.  I read through the entire New Testament of the Bible for myself in the last couple of weeks and so many things got connected and reconnected for me that no number of sermons or teaching would have ever done in the same way. It helped me to think more on the promises of God; past, present, & future in a way I don't think I have before. I read important passages I don't think I've ever read or come across by way of hearing before. If you haven't been working on reading through the Bible for yourself I strongly encourage it, you'll find answers to lots of questions you probably have. I also will continue to recommend using "66 Love Letters" by Larry Crabb to read along with it, especially when reading through the Old Testament.

Matthew 4:4 Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

It is very important for our development in the faith to not only hear the Word, but to read it because by it we live. Living encompasses growth and spiritual development. Eat up. Read up!

No comments:

Post a Comment