Wednesday, August 15, 2012

impossible


Not quite 3 years ago I became convinced that God must just hate us all.  Too much pain in this world for love to be the answer.  This is how I lived believing, while still feeling the desire to find out somehow that it just wasn't true.  And today I can tell you that the truth is that God deeply and passionately loves us far beyond what we can ever wrap our minds around. 

Most people never really turn to God when things are going good. If things are good it feels like we don't need Him.  Another lie people tend to live by.  When things go bad; however, we tend to feel like we need someone more powerful... God.   He can fix this and make my world a happy place again.  We all live in this cyclical lie.  even when the train of thought derails and we get dragged into thinking that all the bad is all His fault and all the good was done by "me".  Its a crazy cycle. 

He allows the heartaches in our lives so that we can realize our need for Him, so that we can experience His comfort, so that we know He is good, so we can be close to Him  and maybe just maybe stay there.    Staying Christ focused during difficult times makes the impossible possible.  When Peter was completely Christ focused taking a step out of a boat and on to water to walk to Jesus, he did.  As soon as he lost that focus he sank.   Christ focused living will give us peace... "impossible" peace just as walking on water is "impossible"...   It is because God wants to be close to us and wants us to want to be close to Him.  He grieves with us when we grieve, He is there for us during it... He wants to be there for us when we're happy, sad, angry, or whatever.  He didn't allow things in our lives to leave us deserted, He wants to be there for us & for us to enjoy His comfort.  Of course receiving His comfort and Love are a choice, the other option is to sink in the pain and all that encompasses "me focused".  I totally took the second road in times past and let me tell you now; it led me straight to self loathing, suicidal depression.  Totally opposite of the peace that passes understanding, huh?  What choice will you make?

Philippians 4:7, "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

2 Corinthians 1:3-4, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God."

Peter walks on water scripture reference: Matthew 14

James 1:2 "Consider it pure joy, by brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds..."  
As for certain kinds of trials like those concerning grief, I think the pure joy comes in with receiving His love and comfort in the midst. 

I'm learning this week that I tend to not believe that others love me, which is not receiving the love.  But when I do believe that someone loves me that is when I am receiving it. This has included God for a long time. In March I chose to believe He loves me again and this week I'm receiving it even more. He loves you too.  His Love for us never changes either. There is no earning it, there is only basking in it.  Like basking in the sun by the ocean... I love the beach and sunshine... & now the Son-shine.  Love Love Love. 

2 comments:

  1. Carrie, you are a dear sweet blessing!
    Keep chasing Him. So thankful for you..and thankful for moments I get to read your posts.
    They encourage my soul.

    ReplyDelete