Thursday, December 13, 2012

friendship building

In Tuesday's post I said, "To have a daily, private, uninterupted prayer time--- time totally alone with Him-- talking out loud to Him, and listening to Him speak to our hearts." But I missed something.

Posture in prayer. Jesus taught us that the posture of our hearts is the most important thing, no matter what prayerful posture we take. People can easily look one way but their hearts couldn't be further from Him.  Through out scripture people prayed in all sorts of postures, each one reflecting their hearts.
standing when requesting provision (Gen 24:12-14)
kneeling with face to the ground worshiping  (Ex34:8)
sitting and crying (Judges 20:26)
on knees giving thanks & praying (Daniel 6:10)
beating one's chest recognizing one's own need for mercy (Luke 18:13)
begging on knees (Mark 1:40)
with lifted hands in prayer (1Tim 2:8)
(Reference list came from John MacArthur Jr.)


As I read these verses for myself learning the attitude behind each posture I recognized even more the posture of apathy. But when I humble myself to bow & come before the Creator, the apathy dissipates and I'm left in awe of God.  Sometimes it starts with picking a posture besides that of apathy and getting with God.

Obviously, the physical can be in any position as we pray with out ceasing; but what a wonderful thing it is to pause daily in that private, uninterupted, prayerfully postured, conversational prayer time.   We spend this kind of time with people we love... I love private, uninterupted time with my best friends, & when I'm interested in what they're saying my posture shows it, and as much as I love to talk I want to hear what my best friends thing about stuff.  As I grow to Love God more and more, these things will spring to life in this type of prayer time with Him.  Prayer truly has everything to do with the attitude of my heart... see when I'm not friends with someone all of those same attributes are no more.  Prayer is all about building a friendship with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment