Tuesday, December 25, 2012

giving thanks

Christmas Eve has me thinking about thankfulness. Thinking about my childhood Christmases and what others' were like.  Santa, no Santa, presents, or not and either being ungrateful myself or seeing others' ungratefulness.  Remembering being happy about gifts, but never quite feeling "good enough" for the toys advertised on Nickelodeon. That's dumb, I know.  I don't even remember if I ever actually bothered asking for some of that stuff, like my children do (they got a Disney channel advertised toy this year).  But thinking about other people's & my own childhood Christmases I was reminded about the power in giving thanks.

1 Thessalonians 5:8, "in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (NASB).

As an adult I have so much of what I wished for as a child: a man-- a husband who loves me, the "American dream",  really great friends,  I've "proven" that I'm smarter that I've ever thought or think I am... Sometimes I still feel like I'm not good enough for any good thing in this life & I very often feel stupid-- childhood junk that's still there.  But here's the point of all of this: whether I have nothing or everything, when I give thanks in every circumstance I will find contentment and unparalleled joy. If I've learned anything in the last 6 months it how to have this joyful heart-- thanks giving.  When I don't give thanks I will always wish my life, my circumstances were vastly different-- even if what I have is over the moon amazing.

Merry Christmas and all my thanks to Him-- Jesus-- who is the greatest gift, who is the Spirit of Christmas, who is the reason for giving, who is to the heart everything that people say Santa is.

Joy to the World, the Lord has come.

No comments:

Post a Comment