Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Captivating

Over the past several weeks I've been feeling this pull to prayer. I'm not talking about a 2 minute prayer or the blessing over a meal. I'm talkin' full out, real, heart felt, down to the nitty gritty kinda prayin! I'm talking about the kind of conversation that is so enthralling you just can't walk away from it and end up all night in interest, like you do when you first start dating that guy/girl you're interested in. Its so captivating. That's it! Captivating prayer. I think the last time I prayed like that I was in Bible College. I prayed like that most of the time in those days, though I think my understanding of God's Love was off by a lot. I really wanted to be with Him.

I don't want it to be like that again. I want it to be what it should be. A relationship with God that is completely enveloped in His all powerful Love and really wanting to be with Him. He has always Loved me this way, I can just see it more clearly now & getting better vision of it with each passing day. I'll share with you some of what I've read today on the subject of prayer:

In Jim Cymbabla's book "Fresh Wind Fresh Fire" he references J.B. Phillips' insight on Acts 2. This is what stood out for me, "The Holy Spirit has a way of short-circuiting human problems. Indeed, in exactly the same way as Jesus Christ in the flesh cut right through the matted layers of tradition and exposed the real issue; ... so we find here (in Acts) the Spirit of Jesus dealing not so much with problems as with people."

I'm personally just feeling this need to pray until my spirit is so hydrated and full that it is overflowing and to just keep praying to constant overflowing. Prayer changes things; God can lead us when we pray. I've believed a lie about prayer for the majority of my Christian walk. I thought that since God wanted something as badly if not more than I did then why should I bother praying about it, he has it covered. That's not really the point of prayer. It is far more than that!! It is so powerful; why would the enemy want us to know the truth?

"God no longer centers his presence in one particular building (as He does in the Old Testament). In fact, the New Testament teaches that we are now his dwelling place; he lives in his people. How much more important, then, is Jesus' message about the primacy of prayer?" (Jim Cymbala, Fresh Wind Fresh Fire-- italics, mine).

Romans 10:13, "“Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" (NIV). This is prayer #1 for any person; I did this on March 27, 1995. I sought God and offered myself & received Him in return; I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine (Song of Soloman 6:3).

1 Timothy 2:1, urges us to pray for each other, "I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone" (NIV).

1 Timothy 2:8, "I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing" (NIV). We should definetly "get things right" with people before praying. I have asked forgivness for things before that I was confident I had every right to "stand my ground" but situations that cause bitterness in my heart after I've made myself a jerk, severing a connection in the body of Christ is cause to ask forgiveness. At the same time I've had to ask forgiveness I've also had to forgive someone who has "done me wrong". Its nice to be able to pray with a clear conscience. This verse also is a call to pray together, not always alone!!! Matthew 18:20, "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them" (NIV). Eccleciastes 4:12, "Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken (NIV).

Matthew 6:6, "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to yourFather, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you" (NIV). We need a private prayer life with God too, but even when 2 or 3 are gathered it is important that it is a private meeting.

I like how Jim Cymbala describes Revalation 5:8, "The book of Revelation says that when the twenty-four elders eventually fall at the feet of Jesus, each one will have a golden bowl- and do you know what's in the bowls? What is this incense that is so fragrant to Christ? "the prayers of the saints" (Rev. 5:8). Just imagine... you and I kneel or stand or sit down to pray, really opening our hearts to God- and what we say is so precious to him that he keeps it like a treasure." Beautiful.

This is how Jesus teaches us pray in Matthew 6:
“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street cornersto be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. Butwhen you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done insecret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
“This, then, is how you should pray:
“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.
For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins" (NIV).

This is an outline of how to pray, not just something to memorize and quote to God. He wants us to be specific in our praise to Him, specific in our thankfulness, specific in our forgiveness, specific in our prayer to lead a godly life... and He definitely doesn't want us babbling a bunch of nothingness to Him that is not anywhere near heart felt. He wants us real and raw toward Him. Why hide? He already knows every single detail about us & every utterance we ever had or ever will make.

I so want to Love Him like He Loves me and to be with Him in prayer, the way it is meant to be. Captivating prayer. That is my goal.



No comments:

Post a Comment