Saturday, April 28, 2012

Bullet Proof

2 Timothy 2:16-17, "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work" (NIV).

Ephesians 6:14, "Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place" (NIV).

So... put the parts together concerning the breastplate in the armor of God and you have: All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for... training in righteousness  which is the breastplate (or bullet proof vest) in the armor of God.   Righteousness helps protect our vital spiritual "organs", like the heart.  Where does my righteousness come from? 
Matthew 5:6, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled" (NIV).
Romans 3:22-24, "...righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus" (NIV). 

If righteousness comes through faith in Jesus Christ, then training in righteousness is God growing us up in our salvation which comes through the Word of God.  We've talked about that the last couple of days. I am just so glad that God gives us salvation freely, because I can't imagine ever being perfect enough to earn it on my own.  He Loves us no matter what, and the amount that He Loves us never changes. He Loves ME!! say that out loud! Jesus LOVES ME!!!! :)  no really, out loud! ...do it.  :) no matter where my heart is in position to Him, His is always toward me, He doesn't change in His Love toward us. I'm SOOOO thankful for that! 

Psalm 119:10-11, "I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you" (NIV). 

Since the beginning of March I've felt the desire to study the Word of God grow more and more. In January the thought of reading the Bible at all was like looking at that healthy apple in the fridge and making Rice Krispie treats instead (I talked about that in the last 2 days).  Now with each healthy bite I want more as I also grow in receptiveness.  If I'm understanding these passages correctly God will grow that righteousness, that I already have in the Salvation He freely gave me, through Scripture. Bible study coupled with prayer will spiritually put a full breastplate (bullet proof vest) on me and will protect my heart.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment