Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Wearing a Mask

Ephesians 6: 19-20, "Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should" (NIV).

As I was writing yesterday's post, "Concentrate" I read through the armor of God in Ephesians 6 and came to verses 19-20.  I was immediately drawn to it, wanting to declare the gospel fearlessly.  Of course, Paul was imprisoned when he wrote this & possibly being tortured for his faith in Christ so its a very strong picture of a possible overwhelming sense of fear overcoming him. He requested prayer in his letter to the Ephesians that he would continue to declare the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ with out fear of anything. Talk about standing up for what you believe in!

I; on the other hand, am far from that.  I've come to realize how easy it is for me to put on a mask of what I think someone else wants me to be like.  If someone even slightly intimidates me or if I'm with  someone who I really want to like me, I won't completely be myself.  I don't really know why, possibly because of childhood insecurities, but I do know I can only be the best Carrie I can be. I cannot ever be the best anyone else, other than me.  Instead of letting my adult securities crumble over the insecure child inside, I want to choose to stand in confidence no matter who is with me.  Thank you, Lord for showing me my tendency to think like this at times, thank you for purging that out of me & replacing it with Your fruit of the Spirit & the ability to stand in Your confidence. Thank You, Lord for carrying me daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment