Monday, April 2, 2012

My Full Quiver

Something that I generally feel determined about is deliberately spending time with my children.  I believe that if they grow up knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that their parents love and adore them that they will become confident, well adjusted adults.  I try to make consistent strides toward this.

Yesterday I got a little wake up call from my husband.

Like I said a couple days ago, I get easily caught up in all of my “to do’s” barreling ahead to get it all accomplished so I can spend time with my family or doing whatever I do to wind down.  For the past couple of weeks... months... I’ve felt about 2 weeks to a month behind on so many things. I try to not think about it and just chip away at what’s in front of me; if I focus on it for even a second it can wash me away.  We prefer for Saturday to be family day, but different things have ended up taking most of the day up this year: Madelyn took a dance class for 8 wks, then the last 3 Saturdays took time to get necessary things done.  Its been a while since Saturday was family day.

Time to get my weekly plan sheet out again and make a plan as a couple so team work toward quality family time ensues.

Proverbs 20:7, “The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him” (KJV).

“Know this: God, your God, is God indeed, a God you can depend upon. He keeps His covenant of loyal love with those who love Him and observe His commandments for a thousand generations” (Deuteronomy 7:9, The Message)

Psalm 127 3-5, “Behold, children are a gift of the LORD,  the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; They will not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies in the gate.

I’m encouraged by these verses to keep receiving Love from God and to Love Him in return, trusting Him enough to obey Him; in doing so He will keep His promises and lovingkindness toward my children to 1000 generations, what a blessing!  It is so important to aim our children toward the Lord like a warrior aims an arrow.  We are already aiming them in some sort of direction the question is which way are we aiming?  Consistency is key in all things concerning children and they desperately Need to know that their parents unconditionally Love them.

Looking back on the past 3 weeks, I see that I have not spent the amount of quality time with them that I feel they need.  At some point every day they need our undivided attention!! UNdivided! Only the child has our attention to talk to us about anything, to play a game or go for a walk or whatever (with our doing a chore or checking stuff online, etc..) and I know that what we do with them concerning this type of attention will turn around on us when they’re teens and young adults.  Why would a teen or young adult bother spending any time with a parent that never bothered to spend any time with them as a child? The wouldn’t.   Treating them with respect, giving them attention, and proper training consistently is how to raise a child to become an adult.  Of course I don’t have grown children; this is what I’ve gathered from others’ victories and mistakes and from a number of parenting books & psychology classes. :)

Thank You Lord for your Love and direction in raising 4 wonderful children!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment